Every Girl Deserves a “Bobby Angel”

Every Girl Deserves a “Bobby Angel”A few months ago, a lady came up to me after I sang at Mass and said to me, “You sing like an angel!” It then dawned on me: my last name is going to be “Angel.” “This is going to be ridiculous,” I thought. Not only does “Jackie Angel” sound like a made-up stage name, but for the rest of my life people are going say, “Now we have our chastity speakers, Mr. And Mrs. Angel,” and “Jackie prayed for her future husband and got an Angel.” My mom even said to me, “I always knew you were going to be a saint, but I never imagined you would be an angel!” Commence eye rolling now.

But you know what? I am so excited to be an “Angel.” Not because of the cool, fake-rock-star name appeal, but because my future husband, Bobby Angel, is a freaking rockstar himself. No, not because he’s the bass player for U2 (that’s not true; although he does play bass and wishes he was in U2), but because with him I am the woman I’ve always wanted to be.

In fact, EVERY girl deserves a Bobby Angel. Although you may not have the cool last name (it might be “Floofenhafen”), you deserve a guy who helps you become the woman of God YOU were meant to be.

When I was 18, I fell in love with THE Bridegroom, Jesus Christ. Jesus became the one who satisfied every longing of my heart. I always knew for my vocation, I was looking not for the perfect man—that’s Jesus alone—but the “Best Man,” the second to Jesus, and the one who would help me run the race towards the goal of Heaven. This “Best Man” would be the best man for me, the man with whom I could be my goofy, crazy, intellectual, sometimes loud, sometimes contemplative, adventurous, Catholic self. As Mark Hart once said about my future husband, “He’s going to be a man to be reckoned with.”

Mark sure was right. I found that man in Bobby Angel. It took 28 years of a lot of heartbreak, a lot of purification of my heart, and a TON of prayer for God to finally bring him in my life. But Bobby Angel IS a man to be reckoned with. Why? Because He’s passionately in love with Christ, the Church, and the Eucharist. He is consecrated to Our Lady and is a man who prays the Rosary and attends daily Mass. Not only is he humble and pure of heart and body, but he is real man—a man who defends the dignity of women, life, and marriage. He is no wimp or “nice” church guy. He is a stinking warrior and will wrestle any bear or heretic to defend his faith, his woman, or his family.

This is not just my story, though. Every Catholic married woman I admire has a “Bobby Angel”-like guy for a husband: a man who loves her in her faults and craziness, a man who respects her body, mind and soul, a man who is on the same page with her spiritually/intellectually/emotionally/physically, a man who she can laugh with and be child-like with, a man cares deeply about her well-being and holiness, and a man who loves with God’s love.

I know tons of amazing men of God. Clearly I’m only called to marry one of them. You, ladies, are called to marry one of them, too (if you’re called to marriage, that is). Don’t settle because you are afraid of being alone, or because you don’t believe you’re worth being loved like this. EVERY girl deserves a “Bobby Angel.” Start praying for him now. Start falling in love with the True Bridegroom, Jesus Christ, and someday Jesus will give you His best man—the best man for you.

I will pray for you, my sisters, to know how good and beautiful you are, and to know that God has an amazing plan for you. You are not forgotten or alone. You deserve the best. With the help of the lady saints (who knew well God’s love for them), let us pray to know this.

Mother Mary, St. Philomena, St. Therese of Lisieux, St. Teresa of Avila, St. Mary Magdalene, St. Maria Goretti, St. Catherine of Siena, St. Agatha, St. Cecilia, St. Lucy, St. Clare of Assisi, St. Gianna Boretta Molla, Blessed Teresa of Calcutta, And all holy men and women, pray for us.

-Jackie

One thought on “Every Girl Deserves a “Bobby Angel”

1. Ana
    March 9, 2013 at 9:21 am

Yes, I totally agree with you. I also like a man just like Bobby Angel, whom you describe as “Why? Because He’s passionately in love with Christ, the Church, and the Eucharist. He is consecrated to Our Lady and is a man who prays the Rosary and attends daily Mass. Not only is he humble and pure of heart and body, but he is real man—a man who defends the dignity of women, life, and marriage. He is no wimp or “nice” church guy. He is a stinking warrior and will wrestle any bear or heretic to defend his faith, his woman, or his family.”

2. August 30, 2013 at 6:38 am

Reblogged this on elizabethamorales and commented:
    Fall in love with THE BRIDEGROOM, Jesus Christ. The Gospel of John says, “So they came to John and said to him, ‘Rabbi, the one who was with you across the Jordan, to whom you testified, here he is baptizing and everyone is coming to him.’ John answered and said, ‘No one can receive anything except what has been given him from heaven. You yourselves can testify that I said [that] I am not the Messiah, but that I was sent before him. The one who has the bride is the bridegroom; the best man, who stands and listens for him, rejoices greatly at the bridegroom’s voice. So this joy of mine has been made complete. He must increase; I must decrease’” (John 3:26–30).

3. Erica
    October 9, 2013 at 1:45 pm

I’ve seen one of their talks before and I liked it at first, but I can’t get over how untealistic this is. I don’t see how this happened for any body but them. I truly doubt that it will happen for anyone but them either.. Things like that never happen often and I don’t understand why people expect it to.

• October 9, 2013 at 2:53 pm

I kind of chuckled at your comment Erica, because I thought the same thing when I was single. I would hear all these crazy stories from people who were engaged and I was like, “This is ridiculous. There’s no way I could have a story like that.” Well, God has a better sense of humor than we do :) To the extent that you have faith is the extent that God will lavish you with good gifts. When you pray like a child and trust like a child, God will lavish you like His child. The Prodigal Father (for “prodigal” means lavish/extravagant) is waiting for us to trust Him. Unfortunately, we love Him half-heartedly and don’t really believe He has good things for us. I will pray that you start to believe/trust how much He loves YOU and is waiting to give you an amazing love story.

Your sister in Christ,
      Jackie

• Yuri
        October 29, 2013 at 6:03 pm

May Gods grace for ever renew the love you and Bobby have for one another and for God. Thank you for sharing your story it brings great hope to my soul and I am 100% with you, anything is possible with one who believes! Believeing in love is believeing in God for God is love this should make perfect sense but unfortunalety and fortunately (because it helps us grow!) we are humans and want to know everything at the time we desire…and evidently it does not work that way. I glorify the Great Lord for your union with Bobby for through this union I too am uplifted and raised in my faith. In Christ!

• Sarah Haire
      February 26, 2016 at 3:53 am

Erica, this WILL happen to YOU! it happened to me, I have met a man who defends the dignity of life, women and marriage, who prays the rosary and attends daily mass, who makes me the happiest girl and calls me onto holliness and greatness in every way. I am just a normal girl and if it can happen for me it can defiantly happen to you!

4. Jasmine
    November 3, 2013 at 6:13 pm

Thank you so much for creating this blog. I cannot stop reading. I am a maid of honour for my best friends wedding and I am so thankful I stumbled upon this to give her some guidance for her engagement. Also it is helping me so much in my journey as a single catholic. Thank you so much for sharing your journey.

5. Abby
    April 21, 2014 at 7:46 pm

A prayer I find especially helpful in the midst of my journey to fall in love with THE bridegroom and pray for my future husband is this:
    “Everyone longs to give themselves completely to someone, to have a deep soul relationship with another, To be loved thoroughly and exclusively.

But to a Christian, God says, “No, not until you are satisfied, Full and content with being loved by me alone, with giving yourself totally and unreservedly to me. With having an intensely personal and unique relationship with me alone.

Discovering that only in me is your satisfaction to be found, Will you be capable of the perfect human relationship, That I have planned for you. You will never be united to another until you are united with me. Exclusive of anyone or anything else. Exclusive of any other desires or longings. I want you to stop planning, to stop wishing, and allow me to give you The most thrilling plan existing… one you cannot imagine. I want you to have the best. Please allow me to bring it to you.

You just keep watching me, expecting the greatest things. Keep experiencing the satisfaction that I am. Keep listening and learning the things that I tell you. Just wait, that’s all. Don’t be anxious, don’t worry. Don’t look around at things others have gotten or that I have given them. Don’t look around at the things you think you want, Just keep looking off and away up to me,  Or you’ll miss what I want to show you, And then, when you’re ready, I’ll surprise you with a love Far more wonderful than you could dream of.

You see, until you are ready, and until the one I have for you is ready, I am working even at this moment. To have both of you ready at the same time. Until you are both satisfied exclusively with me.”

-St. Anthony de Padua
    It can be found on lifeteen.com, which has been another great resource for me!

6. Mary
    September 23, 2014 at 6:58 pm

Hi Jackie,
    I came across this blog randomly tonight and read this post. I am currently sitting here completely distraught. I’m 28 years old and really do believe my spouse is coming and believe God has a plan for me. I have been praying (a lot – i recently finished the 54 day rosary novena) for my future husband and yet even with my faith, I have so much fear and anxiety that i will be alone. If there is anything from a prayer or a book or a reflection. to recommend, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for creating such a great website.

7. October 12, 2015 at 10:53 pm

Would love if you followed my blog and checked out my first post💗 huge huge huge fan of you! You inspire me to be the best version of myself!
    XOXOXO Taylor Kristine | She leaves a little sparkle everywhere she goes✨